Telstra, the largest telecommunications company in Australia, is facing a massive cyberattack that may have cost the company more than $600 million in damages.
The company, which owns the vast majority of the country’s landlines, is scrambling to restore the service after a massive denial-of-service attack last month that targeted its servers, wiping out their ability to process incoming data.
The attack, dubbed the Telstra DDoS, resulted in a massive data loss that affected the company’s IT infrastructure.
In a statement to the Australian press on Monday, the company said it was investigating the attack, and that it is “looking into all the possible causes of the attack.”
Telstra also reported that the attack was being coordinated by a third party, and it would “take some time” to determine how it was able to control the attack.
It also said it will be investigating whether Telstra was involved in the attack itself.
The Telstra outage may have been part of a broader, global attack that also caused significant damage to Telstra’s network.
That attack, known as the Telstar DDoS or Telstar Storm, was carried out on November 23, 2018, the same day that Telstra launched its new broadband service, Telstra Fiber.
It was followed by a Telstar network outage that lasted three days in early 2018.
The telcos own the network infrastructure that connects them to the rest of the world, and they have a lot of control over how it operates.
This is not the first time that Telcos have been targeted by cyberattacks.
A year ago, a hacker attacked Telstra by breaking into the company data centers and infecting its computers with malware.
The attacker then released data about their exploits.
That data was used to infect other Telstra computers, and the Telstars network was down for three days.
Telstra has said it does not have a fixed strategy for defending against attacks.